With the news of late regarding the vote on health care reform, I’m more interested in seeing exactly what everything entails. I have to admit, I don’t know as much as I would like about health care reform, universal health care, or the amendments that have been made to the current bill.
I work with a state agency that already participates in providing insurance to children who are uninsured at a lower cost than commercial insurance, so at first glance the concept of universal health care is appealing to me, because in New York, we’re already paying for these low-income health care insurance coverages.
I really want to understand where my Republican (and Democrat/other) friends and family are coming from when they call the health care reform good, bad, or socialism. I wonder why they are so against the reform? Does it have to do with everyone pitching in to fund the programs? Is it the concern for delay of treatment? All I read these days from the naysayers simply say they don’t like it, but don’t say why. Some even post stories, written by other naysayers to try to prove their point, but I do not like reading a one-sided story. I want to read the original documentation so I can choose for myself what I support.
Unfortunately, I have a four-inch binder in my office right now that weighs about 50 lbs, and has about 1100 pages, and is ONLY about the Federal SCHIP Regulations. I know about those regs because of my job, so the 1100 pages is a bit much because I already know the essence of what the Feds will cover if the Health Care Bill is passed. What I don’t know is about adults?
So, I ask for comments here (rather than on Facebook or Twitter), so I can sort through them and ask questions. I can also elaborate the post, to help me understand, as well as others who may be interested.
What do YOU think about the Federal Health Care Reform? Do you like the idea or not? WHY! (That’s the important question.) And I don’t want to hear any BS like, “because” or “it’s Socialist.” Give me the details & don’t be a lemming! I want YOUR opinion, and not that of your friend, legislator, etc.
If you’re not comfortable putting your name on here, you don’t have to. I have the comments set so you do not have to register, and only I can see the posters information. Thanks for your assistance with this! It’s definitely going to help me!
*UPDATE* I’m going to use Scott Murphy’s website to read the legislation. It hits at a perfect time for me to be able to review the documents!! This will be useful to others as well!
- The reconciliation bill can be found here: http://docs.house.gov/rules/hr4872/111_hr4872_amndsub.pdf
- A summary of the reconciliation bill can be found here: http://www.rules.house.gov/111_hr4872_secbysec.html
- The Congressional Budget Office score for the reconciliation bill can be found here: http://cbo.gov/ftpdocs/113xx/doc11355/hr4872.pdf
- The Senate bill can be found here: http://docs.house.gov/rules/hr4872/111_hr3590_engrossed.pdf
- A summary of the Senate bill can be found here: http://dpc.senate.gov/healthreformbill/healthbill52.pdf
- The Congressional Budget Office score for the Senate bill can be found here: http://cbo.gov/ftpdocs/113xx/doc11307/Reid_Letter_HR3590.pdf